Tuesday 5 February 2013

It finally happened!!

Today the day I thought would never arrive finally arrived - Keira went to the toilet on her own!! Yay!! :)

I had started to toilet train her in November just before when she turned 3.  It was unsuccessful :( She threw the potty and wet her pants. I thought she wanted to stay in nappies because the twins were still in nappies? I don't know the reason - all I knew was that she didn't want to do it so it simply meant she wasn't ready or maybe I just gave up too easily. I didn't peservere with it because I also had to attend to the twins, work and everything else. I thought it would be great to wait until we were in NZ seeing as we would have family assistance for 3 weeks to help with the twins so we could focus on Keira and toilet training. We were semi successful. She got used  to sitting on the toilet bowl but she only did anything when we put her there every 10 or so minutes. When she did go on her own, she rarely did anything but at least she started going to the toilet on her own.

After settling in from the holidays, I approached Keira's Child care to start solid toilet training together this week. I bought her nice under wear with butterflies and pretty colours which she really liked and she wanted to wear them. Two days in with wearing undies all day at child care she had no accidents. Today when we arrived home from child care Keira asked me to open the back door which led to the toilet and I realised that she wanted to go to the toilet. I opened it for her and for the first time I heard her wee in the actual bowl. Of course I made a big deal giving her high 5's to encourage her that she did the right thing and to keep doing it. I left her in undies and two more times after that she ran to the toilet on her own and successfully peed in the bowl :) :)

Oh happy days!! It's only the beginning but I'm glad we're finally there and being 3 years old and two months - it is true when they say that kids will go when they are ready to go! I hope it continues to be successful. It couldn't have come at a better time as I am so busy with work at the moment organising the Liverpool Relay For Life event. I have 7 weeks to try and raise $30,000.00!! At the moment we have only raised $500.00 - yelp!! To say I am getting a little stressed is an understatement but at least I was able to celebrate a little victory today  :) Well Done Keira xx

No comments:

Post a Comment