Saturday 29 September 2012

Twin-isms: Growing Pains

My poor twins have had a bad month of growing pains - teething, colds, chest infections and nappy rashes. This means I've had two very irritable, clingy and upset bubbas. Many people look at twins and think it's so cute to have two little babies to hold, hug, kiss and play with and yes it is cute but not when they both want their mama who only has one pair of arms :(
 
This experience is actually worst than when they were first born and I had the dilemma of who to pick up first as now they both can see me and they can reach out to me or  crawl and cling to me bawling when I already have one baby in my arms - now that is really heart breaking! 
 
Sometimes I wonder if being a twin is a good thing? It means they always have to share their cuddles and time with mum and dad while singleton babies get spoiled with parents fighting for a cuddle. I have to admit that when I am on my own, the only time I get to enjoy one of the twins is if the other is asleep or entertaining them self. I love the one on one time with one baby when I don't have to rush and have the other baby looking at me crying and making me feel guilty that I am holding one and not the other.
 
For the past few weeks,  I have spent most of my days in our bed nursing the twins and playing with them while watching children's DVDs.  It's not very productive but there was a time when the twins got really upset when I left their sight. They didn't like being in the play pen and just wanted to be held all the time so our bed was the only comfortable place where I could hold them both. Lately, they have been ok on their own. After an initial cry they end up playing with a toy or find something to distract them while I quickly have a shower or have a quick bite to eat.
 
There are days when all is calm and I may be busy doing some kind of house chore when suddenly I just hear them giggling really loud - oh how I love that sound! When I turn around to see what they are giggling at, they are smiling me but I know I've missed it. I guess those are the times when being a twin is really special.
 
So, while the twins experience their first growing pains - I am still being positive by making the most of the precious times when  I have my two babies cuddled up next to me - it is the sweetest feeling and one I will make the most of while I can because I know one day they will want to be in their own bed and while I look forward to that, a part of me will miss their cuddles and closeness.
 
I've been chatting to a few twin mamas from around the world on Instagram and I'm so relieved that I am not the only one facing this dilemma. Apparently the first year is the hardest and the mothers with older twins say they wouldn't want to trade places with me for the world! They have assured me though that once they hit the toddler stage - it's very fun seeing them interact with each other - still challenging but not as much as the first year.
 
I can't believe that in 8 short weeks our twins will turn 1 and Keira will be 3 and for some reason it just sounds so much easier than having a 2 year old and 10 month old twins!
 
A sad Montana had a bad morning :( but after some teething medicine and a nap she was herself again :) This pic was edited with Iphone apps Snapseed and Vintique

My boy Lucas really is a Mama's boy as there have been times when he won't go to anyone except me or he'll be fine if I'm not around but as soon as he sees me, he only wants me.  This pic was edited with Iphone apps Snapseed, Noir and Romance

Captured: a twin bond moment. Love it!
 
We have come to the realisation that our twins are the happiest when we go out! No wonder everyone comments to us about how well behaved they are because when we are out in public they usually are!

1 comment:

  1. Aw the poor twinnies! I feel like I haven't seen you all in ages sister. Hope everyone is getting better and you're enjoying your last bit of time before returning to part time work xx

    ReplyDelete